Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Kodak 35

I picked up another Kodak 35 recently on ebay.  I have another very similar, but this one has some interesting differences and is likely the first model which Kodak made in 1938.  



The most obvious difference in this early model is a frame with rollers which holds the film down over the film transport sprockets which both activate the film counter and cock the shutter.  Later models dispensed with the frame, but they all had a tendency to chew up the film strip along the edges.  After I cleaned up this one it seemed to be operating pretty smoothly, but it did tear out a couple edge perforations and caused some difficulties in loading the film on the developing reel leading to the loss of several frames. 


The pictures I got from the camera showed the Kodamatic shutter and the Anastigmat Special lens to be performing well.


Kodak continued production of the camera after WWII and beefed up the design with flash synchronization and a rangefinder.  However, those improvements did not allow Kodak's offering to catch up to the popularity of the Argus C-3 which had interchangeable lenses and no film transport issues.  In spite of the quirky design, the Kodak 35 is interesting historically, and it is pretty easy to work on.  I posted some notes on servicing the camera on Photo.net about eight years ago.  That model had a simpler lens and shutter than my recent acquisition, but the sunny day pictures it made seemed no less sharp to me.

2 comments:

Jim Grey said...

I just finished the test roll in my Kodak 35 and sent the film for processing, so I should publish a review in a few weeks. My 35 has the same shutter and lens as yours, but the face looks different: the shutter-speed ring is black and the knurls are knobbier.

Mike said...

Saw yours in your Flickr stream. Looks to be in very nice condition. I'll look forward to your review.