Tuesday, August 15, 2017

the best laid plans

teacher's pet
My plan was to try the combination of cheap Kentmere 100 and Rodinal 1:50.  That basically went ok.  The results were a little grainy, but not unpleasant.
    Then, about half way through scanning the roll my old XP desktop died.  That left me with my Windows 7 laptop running an old version of PhotoShop and Epson Scan which are much inferior to PS/CS2 and SilverFast on the old machine.  I guess I can live with it a few days until I figure out what to do about my hardware and software dilemma.


weeds

pine tree clouds

The camera was my Minolta Minoltina AL-S, my best ten dollar find, from an El Paso junk shop.

3 comments:

Jim Grey said...

I've had little luck using Epson Scan with negatives, so props to you for succeeding here. I'm sorry your XP system bit the dust. Good luck as you move forward. For what it's worth, Windows 10 works enough like Windows 7 that the learning curve is short -- if you end up needing to go there.

Mike said...

I'll likely haul the old XP to the local computer ER today to get a prognosis. For some reason, Photoshop briefly gave away CS2 for a short time and it is greatly superior in its features to other versions. I had a real struggle to get it going on my old XP machine and I would not try to install it on a newer windows system. I also like my light version of SilverFast a lot and would like to stick with it. We'll see what the doctor says.

Mike said...

Update:
Took the old XP to a local used pc store. The very competent tech gave me new RAM, a new graphics card and a new dvd drive. Of course, those "new" should all have quotes around them, but it all works. So, I am able to go on using my vintage hardware and software to support my vintage camera obsession.