Monday, November 27, 2017

Three more from the Foth Derby

I've used about half the bulk roll of my 127 bulk Portra 160, mostly in the Foth Derby.  The film needs about an extra stop for proper exposure.  It performs pretty well except for some spots on the negatives that I have to stamp out each time.  I'm not sure if the fault is with the film or my C-41 developer.


The KIMO Theater is Albuquerque's Art Deco landmark.  It was built in 1927, and bought by the City in 1977, at which time it was extensively restored.


We had perfect weather for our Thanksgiving Day in the Mesilla Valley.


Making pictures with my old cameas always gives me a sense of connection to past times.  Making a self-portrait with the Foth Derby adds an additional dimension with a hint of time traveling.  I don't usually use the self-timers on my old cameras as it often jams the shutters, but the Foth Derby's shutter seems quite robust, and I decided to take the risk.

3 comments:

Jim Grey said...

The KIMO is gorgeous!

Says a lot about the Derby that the self-timer, after all these years, doesn't simply jam up the shutter.

JR Smith said...

I like the colors in these shots, especially the Thanksgiving Day image. While I have shot quite a bit of Portra 160, I have settled on 400 exclusively now and expose it at 200 ISO. It's an amazing film stock and I hope it stays around.

Mike said...

I think I've got the film slitter properly adjusted now, so I'm looking forward to trying some new film, possibly including some unexpired Portra. The Foth Derby has proved a reliable performer. My only complaint with the camera is the slightly fogged viewfinder which seems impossible to get into without risking destruction.