Tuesday, November 28, 2017

upgrade

Yesterday I needed to wear two pair of +3 reading glasses together to read a book.  Even then, I was unable to read  New Yorker-size print.  I had cataract surgery on both eyes about 1:00 pm.


I stumbled around the house in a dense fog for a couple hours, but by 8:00 pm I was able to dispense with one of the pair of glasses.  This morning, I'm at the computer with no glasses.  The eyes are throbbing a bit, and I see a rainbow-hued halo around bright light sources, but I'm optimistic about progress with my vision at this point.  It will be nice to be able to see the controls on my cameras again, and the final products of my photographic efforts seem likely to more closely resemble my intentions.

9 comments:

James Harr said...

If what you regularly post is done with foggy blurry vision, I can't wait to see what the new and improved eyeballs will do! Glad to hear you're doing well.

Mike said...

Thanks. I could actually read the street signs on the way to the doctor this morning, so that seems a good sign. Also good news for other people I encounter on the road.

Jim Grey said...

Congratulations on getting so much of your sight restored! Here's hoping the rest of your recovery is uneventful.

Mike said...

I drove across town to pick up a couple of Craigslist lenses for the Nikon EM. Enjoyed reading all the signs along the way that were just a blur before. I feel like I have gained back about five years in functionality.

JR Smith said...

I had this surgery a year ago this month. Changed my life. You'll find recovery is fast and the results downright amazing!

Mike said...

A couple days into it I see that it will be a while before my vision stabilizes, but it is pretty certain to be a lot better than what it was. One benefit which I see already is much better acuity and contrast. Aside from seeing my subject matter better, I am now seeing some opportunities for improvement in the technical quality of my final images.

JR Smith said...

I am sure you are! The day after my surgery, I removed all of the +0.5 diopters on my Nikon F2s!

Lurcher1 said...

I hope that your recovery goes well. I have eye surgery to thank for my camera collecting hobby. On sick leave after an operation seven years ago I grew bored. I came across my Dad's old Rolleicord and had it repaired. Then I discovered e-bay, started attending collectors' fairs, and got bitten by the bug. Now I tell myself I should use the cameras I have rather than acquire new ones. We'll see.

Adam Fairclough

Mike said...

I'm using some readers for close work, but don't need glasses for driving. My photographic vision is definitely improved and I'm seeing some better final results in my final images as well as I previously had a tendency to over-sharpen in Photoshop.